Wave Curl

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

For the " Wave Curl" I have always wanted to capture the curl/tube formations that breaking waves create. I think that this image does just that. I’m not certain what I would do to improve this image.

Creative direction

I don’t know if I would characterize this image as an certain style or artistic approach, I wanted to convey the power and beauty created by the surging breaking wave.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feed back welcomed.

Technical Details

For the " Wave Curl" Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: Canon RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM @ 240 mm, f/6.3, 1/2000 sec. ISO: 320. It was processed using Photoshop and Topaz.

Description

To capture this image I found I had to wade out into the surf itself, to better capture the waves breaking around me. This was captured in the Atlantic Ocean off of the Outer Banks N. C.

Hey Robert: I definitely understand how you feel about wave curls. I am constantly in search of wave curls when at the ocean. You got a small one here. Technically, use a long lens (200mm or longer) and shoot wide open and try for a shutter speed around 1/1250 to freeze the wave. That may necessitate a higher ISO. ( A little trial and error is part of the process). Waves move a lot faster than you think. Also, knowing when this occurs is a great aid in finding them. Windy days and approaching and passing storms are generally good at any ocean. Surfers prefer the mornings. However, if you really serious about the curl, in this country, check out Washington State and Oregon coasts, South Carolina and Maine, etc. Anywhere known to surfers has possibilities. Call a local surf shop. Join a surfers bulletin board, etc. However, time of year is also important as the sun can light up the inside of the curl, which is a pretty great thing to see. For example, in Cape May, NJ, the low angle winter sun can light up the inside of the curl, looking like it’s on fire. Good luck and I look forward to future wave curl uploads from you!

1 Like

Thank you for your comments and advise, Tony. I hope to join you in Charleston next year. Bob Engle

You’re very welcome, Bob, and we hope to see you next year!

You have a very nice frame here, but I think you might trim a little off the left to leave the curl larger in the frame. The bright splash is an exciting element but it feels just a bit oversharpened.

I love finding the right conditions on the north-central CA coast – wave curls are indeed special. (But out here they are also dangerous, and a long lens from a high perch is mandatory.) A treatment that can bring out wonderful color is to try the Dehaze slider.