Wax wing feeding on berries

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Same subject but a different pose. Changed post processing to have Topaz AI denoise first. Has this improved image quality? Image is still not sharp, as it was taken HH

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Compositions

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon RP, RF800mm F-11, 1/1000, F-11, ISO1250 HH

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

On my monitor this one looks better to me. I also like the pose better than the first one posted. Both are fine but the second is my choice.

HI John
The Canon RP and the RF 800mm are new and with a lens that has a 16ft minim focus, the soft image just might be the lens. I have a canon 7Dll, with a Sigma 150-600mm Lens, at 600mm F8, four point focus set up, 1/1000 and my super- limit ISO of 1250, most of the time I get sharp photos. Did you have the Image stabilization on, have tried a different lens?
Nice framing.
Peter

Aside from the IQ limitations (hopefully to be worked out), just for future information, the crop here feels awkward to me. There are a lot of branches above the bird that I don’t find interesting, and it feels crowded on the left. I would consider a crop halfway down the head and add more on the left, and maybe a little more on the right. I’d clone out the 2 branches coming in from the bottom.

Very nice pose and overall setting. I could see cloning out the bare branch below the tail and maybe the dead branch on the right-both tend to draw my eye a bit. Nice background.

Thank you Jim, I appreciate your comment.

Peter, thanks for your comments. I had but recently shipped off the Canon 7DMII and the Sigma 150-600C. At this time I am converting to all mirrorless gear, with a couple lens exceptions. The 800mm F-11 is new and it does take some getting used to. What I am finding out is that it does not do well with small subjects at a distance unless it is on a tripod or monopod. I will be posting a shot of a turkey vulture taken with the R and 800 soon.

I have purchased the RF 100-500mm lens and so far am very pleased with it.

John

I did not crop this image as much as the first waxwing I posted, nor did I attempt to remove some of the smaller branches. I do so wish I had put the camera and lens on a tripod or monopod before I spotted the bird in the juniper. Thanks for your comments.

John

Hi John
Thank you for the information. The RF 100-500mm Lens looks like it should give you many days of happy photography. Was the a micro focus adjustment available for the 800mm F-11?
Peter