We Share This World

Just before sunset on a Mendocino County, California, beach. There were lots of animal tracks that hadn’t been obliterated by people tromping all over. This scene caught my eye because of the variety of tracks. Really brought to mind that we share this place with lots of other critters.

What technical/artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m fairly pleased with how this turned out, but always welcome any critique. I converted to b&w because the colors were rather strong in the evening light, and I wanted to emphasize the tracks.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, Sony a7, 24-105 @43mm, 1/80s, f/16, ISO 1000.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Very engaging image, Bonnie. The B&W and stronger sidelight makes this really stand out. If I had any suggestions, it would be to have just a wee tad more room at bottom, because the tracks are the main attraction to me. Makes one wonder what made the tracks (reminds me of the album Riddles in the Sand by Jimmy Buffett).

Thanks, Bill. I have another version with more tracks at the bottom. I though this one was more dynamic with the angled tracks, but then it had too much room on lower left, so I cropped it. I’ll work on my other version, to compare.

Bonnie this tells a really great story. To choose B&W was very effective and you handled the subtle tonality quite well.

Nicely done!

I like this a lot Bonnie. Your choice of B&W is very effective.

This is really nice. The sidelighting is sweet and the diagonal of the tracks works a lot better I would think than a straight line leading into the scene. B&W works great but would like to see color version to compare it to.
:vulcan_salute:

Thank you @Alan_Kreyger, @Eva_McDermott, and @Michael_Lowe. I will look at a color version, too, when I have a chance.

This is beautiful, Bonnie. Lovely dappled light and a wonderful textures on display in the sand and grasses. Processing looks great. I could see slicing a sliver off the top to place more emphasis on the land.

1 Like

This is a wonderfully expressive black and white image. This would have been great without the tracks also. The small tracks on the bottom right look like that of a mouse. The larger tracks could be reptilian or even a bird. Hard to tell. Nice work.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Absolutely wonderful! The story (with the critters…,) the graphics, tonality, this has it all.

I think a great choice on the b&w processing, which I find quite beautiful - and a bit different? I mean the tonality or contrast or something seems a bit nostalgic? or something. Almost h as a sepia or a toning look. I don’t know what i’m talking about or getting at, but I sure think the processing works wonderfully with this image.

If anything, my only suggestion would be to shave a little off the top. the sky/clouds are pretty uniform and having less of it doesn’t take anything away.

Beautiful work.

Lon

1 Like