Pawprints in the Sand

I think these are rabbit prints, but I’m not sure. There’s always a lot of them to be found here (MacKerricher State Park, Mendocino).

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. What do you think of the sky. I always go back and forth on how prominent to make the sky. Tried for the middle ground here.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, a7, 26mm, f/16, 1/250s, ISO400, hand held.

Bonnie, your b&w treatment looks very good to me. I like the overall sense of “high key” that the sky and the far dune create. The tracks are fascinating. They show an intriguing pattern with all four feet landing separately and one hind foot clearly pressing much harder the the other three. That has me wondering if it relates to the softness and movement of the sand. The front foot/rear foot size difference supports your idea that it’s rabbit tracks.

1 Like

I like everything about this, Bonnie. The animal tracks, the grasses, the sweep of the dunes and then the clouds all combine to make a deeply satisfying composition. The tones are lovely as well - might perhaps take a touch more contrast, but work very well as is.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver and @Ian_Wolfenden for your comments. Ian, I went back and forth on the contrast, as usual (more or less, more or less, etc.). I think if I don’t have a clear idea of the story or mood, it’s difficult to decide which direction to go.