Wee weevil

Whenever I’m relaxing on the deck I have a camera to hand because you never know who will drop by. Here’s a tiny weevil (5mm) that let me get right in its long little face for this single image portrait. I think it’s a Listronotus sparsus, but I’m not 100% on that. It’s a cute little thing though. Weevils are so endearing with those long snouts. This is not a stack, just a single photo at f/9. Because I was resting the camera and my hand right on the railing it’s 1/20th of a second. Thankfully it didn’t move!

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s just a bug. Any cc is welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld, but resting on the railing.

Lr for most of the processing - wb adjustment, evening out the light, mostly, adding texture, clarity, sharpening & nr. Masked the bug and inverted to bring up the whites quite a bit. Photoshop for some distraction removal and a bit of color cloning on the railing.

He is cute, Kris. But must admit, at first it looks like he is in a stand off with you to see who will blink first :rofl: Love your POV and the details are great. The smaller image you included doesn’t seem to be there??

Glad you had your camera in hand and ready, Kris. You are right, you never know who will stop by for a visit. Nice in his face, at his level of view. Nice and sharp, HH 1/20 shutter speed. You have steady hands! He has a face that only a mother would love, but you did a fine job capturing it!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @linda_mellor - bugs are usually just cute to each other! But s/he was pretty chill with the big thing in its face so I’m glad for that.

The smaller image, Linda? That might be the screen snip I use for showing camera settings, etc. Hopefully it shows up eventually.

And my hands aren’t super steady all the time, so I used the deck railing as a brace.

1 Like

Good job at capturing this. The detail in the face is excellent and interesting to study. Good advice about always having the camera at the ready.

1 Like

Thanks @terryb - I really do like weevils and beetles in general, but just haven’t been diligent at seeking them out. When they come by the deck, that’s easy!

Great opportunity and a fascinating pose – focus is very sharp where it needs to be! Nice “perch” too.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - it was a most patient bug and fairly still. Thought I might need a flash, but I didn’t.