Wenatchee River October 2020

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon EOS R, Sigma 24-70mm, 2.5’, f32, 60mm ISO 50, three shot focus stack
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. #ig benjaminrobinsonphotography

Welcome to NPN Benjamin, thank you for sharing this with us, you are off to a good start. I look forward to seeing more of your work, and encourage you to join in the discussions by providing your own comments on the images of other folks.

I think your focus stacking technique worked well here, with good sharpness in both the boulder and the background. I like your processing of color in this image, the contrast between the warm fall colors and the cool glacial waters looks great. I do a have a few suggestions for improvement. The bright white water in the center of the image looks like it is close to clipping, I would pull those highlights down a bit. The bright patches of white sky in the upper right corner (URC) are a minor distraction since they are bright and near the frame edge (pulling my eye away from the center). I would consider cloning or cropping those patches away. Attention to smaller details like this can make a significant difference in the final image. I hope these tips are of help to you.

Thank you Ed! Absolutely the feedback I’ve needed/craved but not found elsewhere. I will rework this image with your suggestions. I look forward to critiquing others’ images and submitting more of my own. I will become a permanent part of the NPN community.

2 Likes

Hey, this is a great first image! Really inviting and I like the focus stack to keep it all sharp. I would add one suggestion to what @Ed_McGuirk stated, the rock in the left foreground, the bright patch at the top feels out of place. You could try darkening it down, or bringing up the brightness of the other areas of the rock. I would probably lean toward darkening the bright patch a fair amount. It shouldn’t be even in tone with the other areas but it just feels a bit hot the way it is.

Also, welcome to the club!

Thank you David. I actually saw that once I posted it. My bad for not catching it in the first place. I will correct both yours and Ed’s suggestions and repost.

Thank you for the welcome! I think I found my photography “forever home”!

I haven’t been on here long but it has been really helpful. I can see how it will be good for my long term development!

This is a fine first image. Welcome. I think the rock makes this an image that’s not cliche so it’s good that you included it. I would have preferred that if not be up against the left edge but more to the right (but not centered). The colors are gorgeous.

1 Like

Hi Benjamin and welcome aboard. This is a really nice first post. I would agree with the comments above about the sky and I would probably clone out those bits. I find the rock a bit predominant in the scene and I would be tempted to crop a little off the bottom to deemphasize it a bit in the image. It is a good, dynamic scene and works quite well.