West Virginia Autumn

This view is from Pendleton Point looking out over the Blackwater Canyon in WV. My brother and I had two great days of shooting in some light rain and mist and we came away with several keepers, but it could have been even more productive if I had paid attention to what I was doing as I had to throw away several images that were slightly OOF. Somewhere along the line I set my AF switch to limit and unfortunately I did not zoom in on the LCD screen for all the images to see if they were sharp . How dumb is that? :rage: Lesson learned: I hopefully will not make that mistake again. I might be able to squeak by on this one although the BG trees are definitely not sharp. I may just use the oil paint filter if the couple I kept do not work out.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/30 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

A ten out of ten on my personal scale, Ed. Looks like a painting. The colors, mood, atmosphere are all outstanding!

2 Likes

I agree with Michael Lowe. The colors are great; I love the fog/mist, the cliff… it’s all really beautiful… and unless you plan on blowing it up to room size, I don’t see anything out of focus.

I ditto the ten out of ten. The background looks great to me. The fog balances the saturation of the foreground nicely. Thanks for the reminder about zooming into the LCD to check focus.

Really nice capture. It looks like you guys had a great trip. I, too, have some photos from my recent trip to Maine that are just slightly OOF, so I know that pain all too well. This one looks pretty good to me. I like the bit of rocky cliff and evergreens surrounded by blazing foliage.

Very well done. At web size, the OOF doesn’t bother me a bit and in reality, even large it might only bother other photographers. Lots of Galen Rowell’s images were really soft, especially in the corners (cheap lightweight zooms) but he still sold huge numbers of big prints. Looks good.

Ed, this image has a nice composition, and an interesting variety of fall color. The point makes for an interesting subject to break up the walls of fall color, which helps a lot.

I don’t find this to be OOF, the rocks in the cliff actually looks pretty sharp. I think what you may be seeing is some slight wind movement in the trees, even though you shot at ISO 400. These canyons and notches can be like wind tunnels sometimes. With that said, I think this is fine for web display. If you hadn’t said anything, I would have just assumed you added a slight Orton Effect here :wink:

Many thanks folks @Michael_Lowe, @robertakayne, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Craig_Moreau, @Harley_Goldman and @Ed_McGuirk for taking a moment to leave a thought. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image.
@Craig_Moreau: I hear you; I hope that is the last time I forget to check for sharpness.
@Ed_McGuirk: Thanks for planting the Orton Effect seed. :+1: I may try that out on a couple of others that are not real sharp and see what it looks like. Maybe I can save a couple.