Western Grebe pair

Another from Lake Pleasant. I assume this as a mated pair as they seemed to be cruising together, but really not sure. No way to get both in focus but I think having the back one soft works.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 700. ISO 800, f/10, 1/1600 sec. Linear profile in LR with normal tonal adjustments – to help tame the whites and blacks. Into PS for NR and some partial opacity cloning to soften the FG water a little. Gradient lightening toward the top. About a 50% crop.

After struggling with tonalities on the last one, I hope this is better – if not feel free to say so!

1 Like

Awww, what a couple of sweeties. I didn’t manage a pair together (did of the cormorants so I’ll post that in a minute) so this is special. As I recall the reflection of the shoreline was warmer than you have it here, but that’s an individual preference. Still think you could pull the blacks down a bit so the backs of the birds are a little darker. Don’t lose that detail though! Funny, looking at the one nearest, I wonder if it’s the same as in one of my shots because of that little hanging feather under the chin.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith – the one with the hanging feather also had a white spot of disturbed feathers about halfway down the neck facing us, about halfway into the gray. Maybe she’d had a spat with someone? (I’m assuming the one with the slightly upturned beak is the F, but I’m extrapolating from Avocets.)

I did cool down the water at the top as it was a bit of an eye magnet. Tried to keep the birds dark but a patch on the far one’s head and spots in the body feathers were blocking up. I could mask it though.

Excellent clarity and plumage detail on the closer bird. Superb water texture and color. Works well with the slightly OOF Grebe in the rear. Nice head positions.

Nice job on this pair, Diane. The near bird is very crisply focused and the rear is sufficiently out to work well. I don’t know if it’s an illusion caused by the angle, but I find it interesting that the beaks of the two birds appear to have slightly different shapes-a bit of sexual dimorphism?

Thanks @Dennis_Plank – I’m wondering the same, but haven’t been able to find out. But I think with Avocets the F has a more upcurved beak.