What a Hoot!

Smile and Laugh

Dig Down Deep

…and Yak a Pellet

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This owl was deep in the brush and a ways off at one of our local settling ponds. It was moving around kind of strangely, and after getting the camera home and downloading the pictures I finally figured out what it was doing. It was eliminating leftovers from a previous meal. It just looked so happy in the first shot and so down in the last one. It was tough to get a good focus through all the brush, but I love the story of this series. I hesitated to include the last shot since it is not as good as the others, but I think it helps complete the process.

Specific Feedback

I find it kind of funny that we try to make nature “feel” the things we feel sometimes. I think this series evokes the emotion of Yuck! But it also brings me a chuckle. I know these probably would have been much better at a higher shutter speed, I’m a bit rusty, but relearning here on NPN.

Technical Details

1. Canon 7D MII, f14, 1/200 sec, iso 800, 560 mm (100-400 with 1.4 TC), 50% crops
  2. Same except f16
  3. Back to f14
  4. Same as first

I do love this image. I also have many bird shots that are also full of those nasty branches. But you captured the sequence well. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like