What Lies Beneath II

Same stretch of the Stanislaus river captured a week ago while camping with my son and grandson.

This was about 7:30pm after the sun had dipped behind the mountain ridge, where as the previous post was in the morning with some filtered light. Here the light is diffused and even.

Spending way too much time processing so I just decided to post. I wanted to render the water color as best I could recall - as I recall it much closer to aqua-green like glacial run-off, rather than the forest/emerald green I’m used to in the Merced.

Also, the attraction again were the submerged granite rocks. I wonder if you see the same “figure” I see?

Two versions. Not sure which one I prefer. Any comments on which you prefer and why. All appreciated! Thanks!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all, especially when it comes to colors and processing

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just another silky water image? Or anything more?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Other than a couple CA-cloned exposed rocks breaching the bottom edge and LLC (and URC on image #2) these are single frames. Slight cropping

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @82mm, 72mm, f/16, f/13 @1.3, 1.6sec respectively

1 Like

I prefer the previous past (not what you asked, of course). I find I like the prior comp better, more cohesive. In these, I find myself looking at the blurry rocks more than anything else. The others, the white water really sings and pulls it together for me.

Lon, these are fine “flowing water” close ups. I’ll vote for a combo of the two. I feel like the first one is a bit under exposed. The extra brightness in the 2nd view seems right, however, I think there’s a bit too much yellow in the second version, so I’d go with the brightness of #2, but the colors of #1. That dark spot on the upper rock makes it look like an large head looking back.

The extra brightness and more flow features in the earlier post have me agreeing with Harley that it’s preferable.

Thanks for the comments and feedback @Harley_Goldman and @Mark_Seaver, appreciate it.

Can’t say I disagree on all counts. Good call on the color and brightness Mark. I’ve adjusted the master files. I’m thinking a crop from the top as well to remove some of the empty space since all the attention is in the lower half.

thanks again.

Lon, I am playing catch up here so I am enjoying your three images in the “What Lies Beneath” series together. What a wonderful series. These are the kind of images that I strive to create: I can almost feel your thoughts and contemplation as you compose and create this. Having said that, this “Number II” wins my heart. I like the second composition better, it seems to have better left to right flow. I think there is a little bit of magenta cast on this one compared to the first one. I really like the color rendition of the first one. But color is very malleable and always very personal.

Congratulations on this series! I am jealous but this series will continue to push me to keep getting better in my creative process as well. Thank you for sharing this with us.