“What’s It All About, Alvord ?”

Hi Igor, I’ve kept looking at this photo because I like it so much, but just never knew what to say about it. I think what I like is the subtle colors but at the same time it looks like a bright hot day and the pattern of the rocks. It looks like there’s a lot of small scene opportunities there for you as well! Really great capture and congratulations on editor’s pick!

1 Like

Igor, just seeing this now. I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and noticed this in the Editor’s Pick. Well deserved. High tone and infinity, what a combination. Yep, you nailed this one. I love the subtlety of this both the colors, the contrast and lighting. I think many photographers would have wrongly added contrast to this but your processing is spot on. I prefer your version of colors as I think there is too much blue/magenta in the rework and the warmth in the original just feels right to me. However, I really like the B&W version that was posted by @Tony_Kuyper . I like it as much or more than the color version but in a different way. The added contrast changes the mood in the black and white.
I’ll have to add the Alvord desert to my wish list of places to visit. Looks a lot like Death Valley in potential.

1 Like

Thank you David. The alvord Desert is growing to be one of my favorite destinations in Oregon as I’m beginning to understand where to photograph and when to be there. You might look at Mark Lisk photography for some ideas, especially his b&w gallery. There is much greater variety of possibilities in Death Valley. There are no dunes and nothing like Zabriskie Pt at Alvord.