What supports us

I am interested in landscapes that play at the edges of the categories of human and nature and show how they intertwine. This is a reflection under the bridge of a local ravine. I like the ghostly quality and the way the tree seems to replace one of the supporting arches. I also like the sense of nature coming from below or perhaps of nature that existed before and still underpins and supports the city.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Processed with some warming on the black and white conversion to hint a sepia tone and older print. It is meant to be slightly abstract but I was limited in framing choices. The picture is inverted which is why the river at the bottom has odd mirrored banks. It is an experiment, all feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

ISO 6400; aps-c 27mm; f13; 1/40 sec (can’t recall if I had a tripod that day)

Charles, this is so intriguing. You have to see the larger version to truly appreciate it. I love the old style processing you’ve done. It certainly feels like an old photo.

Your composition is good, offering a good perspective on the underneath of the bridge. And that underneath is fascinating. It looks like the bridge is decaying. I actually had to download it and flip it to understand what I was seeing. There’s a slightly curved something in the upper left corner that I would clone out.

I think the message, as you stated, is the intertwining of nature and human-made things. It feels to me that this is a forecast of the bridges eventual demise back to the elements of nature.

Very cool and a wonderfully unique image, Charles. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks @David_Bostock for taking a look, it was a bit of experiment but I like the way it turned out, glad you enjoyed it. I like the idea of bridge going back to nature.