What's around the bend?

Cruising in Glacier Bay, AK

Description:

A zodiac from the Sea Bird explores Glacier Bay. We are a part of a Lindblad Expedition to Alaska in association with National Geographic.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any and all comments are appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Sony a7RIIIw/ 100-400 Sony G lens

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Quite beautiful in B&W!

1 Like

This is a beautiful scene. For some reason the word “haunting” comes to my mind to describe the feeling. So small in the raft against the enormity of the location, I think of early explorers of the continents with just themselves and nature. I absolutely love the lightness of the trees as a backdrop for the darkness. Well done!

James, the misty distance, the big leaning tree and the boat below add up to a nicely dramatic view. The rocks leading in do create a good feeling of exploring. The 50:50 split in light/dark and that leaning tree are an interesting and effective composition.

The boat adds so much drama because of the scale it gives. Just amazing to be in that towering landscape. It almost seems impossible - like the boat and the people in it have no chance against this terrain, but of course they do. It looks a tad oversharp to me and I’d like a tad more room on the left corner/side. The drama though makes it an arresting photo. So great!

James, a wonderful image with the boat and people giving a sense of scale to the scene. A slight reduction in whites / highlights near the top of the frame may further strength the image.

Sure do get the feeling of being such a small part of this huge and majestic scene. Very dramatic and has a huge impact. Great subject for a black and white image.

Wonderful story telling image. Love the composition.

Thanks to everyone for the replies they were appreciated and moving ,as well as constructive.