Where Did All the Bathers Go?

This young Cooper’s Hawk was coming through our yard quite frequently for a few weeks and finally landed on our old bird bath. Oddly we’d picked up another bird bath a yer ago largely because the lady selling it included a picture of another Cooper’s Hawk in the middle of it in her ad.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I cloned out the base of a perch to the right of the bird and it’s reflection in bath. The bath was much harder than the tree perch itself.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 468 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3110x3630 before resizing for the web. An noted above, I removed a perch and its reflection in post processing. I also brought up the shadows a fair amount as the light was still fairly contrasty. Taken at 7:24 PM on August 4th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Dennis, the lighting on this hawk is flat stunning. Not sure it could have been any better in producing such a fine portraiture of this gorgeous young hawk. Very nice indeed…:+1::+1:

A very nice capture, Dennis! The light really makes it special. You did a great job of removing the perch. I never would have known!

As others have said, Dennis, the lighting here is outstanding. It’s a beautiful look at this hawk. Since you describe it, I can see one repeat ripple along the right side in the water, but it’s the kind of thing that only some looking to see cloning effects would notice.

Beautiful light, image and portrait. Great job on the clone, too. Excellent.

Dennis, this is stunningly gorgeous of this beautiful hawk. As others have mentioned already, the lighting is looking really great. I love that just a little bit of his reflection shows, as well as that background compliments him. Maybe the hawk came with the birdbath!!! He just came home to it. So glad you were able to capture this great shot. :+1::+1:

Beautiful lighting on this bird, plus great pose and sharpness.