Follow Me

The combination of the lighting and the over-the-shoulder look of this Chipping Sparrow makes me think of an evil master leading followers to the dark side. Purely anthropomorphic, but we relate to images as humans, not machines, and I don’t create images for scientific illustrations.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Cleaned up a bunch of debris in the water, does it still look untouched?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cropped this just a bit, but decided I needed to leave most of the foreground rock on the right to keep the feeling of depth, even though that put the bird more in the center of the frame. Plus, I didn’t want to lose an of that little patch of light to the right of the bird, as I thought it was important to the composition. I did add a touch of light to the bird’s face.
I’d be interested in any input on the composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 468 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/640, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5244x3516 before resizing. Taken July 6th at 2:45 pm from my blind. Subject is in my ground level pool.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Dennis, this is wonderful as wonderful can be. The fine feather details and the sharpness of the bird combined with the soft lighting are delightful. I don’t mind the “centered” composition at all. I agree with you about the added depth given by the rock on the right. The water looks perfect to me; that is a masterful clone work. My only nit is some reflection highlight from the wet rock (OOF) just in front of the bird, below the beak in the image. My eyes keep on bouncing between the bird and that wet rock and I would try reducing the contrast there. Excellent image!

I like what you said about the cropping but I do think you could take a little off the right to great advantage.

Perfect background color wise :blush:

Hi Dennis,
Love the backwards look and the wet bird. Your water images are terrific. I think cropping a little on the right wouldn’t hurt.