Chipping Sparrow

A first for me and photo was taken during this past summer on a wet day RV’n.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo is a full vertical crop from a horizontal. I removed a couple leaves and a twig from the edges.
7DII, 500mm, f/4, 1/500, ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
Well the soft light and a 500mm lens make for a vary nice photograph. The detail, color and framing work well to gather. Nice find.
Peter

Nice look at the sparrow with good detail and the nice background contrasts well with the head.

Nice pose and perch. Good eye contact and head turn. On my recently calibrated monitor, some of the white plumage appears a little bright. I think you could make a case for darkening the brightness and adding a little contrast to the white plumage. I have never seen one of these at my house but Dennis Plank who lives 20 miles south of me, sees them all the time. He lives near Rochester. Maybe there is hope if they made it up to British Columbia.

Wonderful sharpness and detail, gorgeous BG and the sparrow chose a color-coordinated perch. I do think the breast is a bit bright – I don’t know how you process but I’d guess bringing down the Highlights slider in raw conversion (LR/ACR and probably others) might bring in quite a bit more detail there. Often a touch of Texture or Clarity will enhance it further.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I see that little patch that does look bright or even burned out. I guess I should have toned that down a bit and the rest as well. I try to maintain that whiteness of white birds and might keep things too bright at times.
David I try to go around that Olympia to Everett corridor as much as I can also.

Hi David, I like this vertical composition and the bird is well placed in the frame. These guys are really cute - nice capture. Looks like you have room to play with the brighter areas on the bird if you wish to bring those down just a tad even though I wouldn’t do it by much. Nice frame with a pleasing composition and background.