Chipping Sparrow Fresh from the Bath

This Chipping Sparrow used the larger lower bath, though it had to share it with a Purple Finch and a Junco that kept getting into my field of view. I liked the look when it came out and went up to this perch for a few seconds.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/640, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather enhancement with topaz Detail 3. Cropped to 3428x4000. The area to the left of the bird was extremely bright and garish green, so I spent a bit of time subduing it.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I absolutely love your picture! The messy, after-the-bath look is terrific. Makes me smile!

Excellent capture of this well wetted little bird, Dennis! Colors and detail are superb and you did a fine job of processing. Toning down the green appears to have been well worth the effort.

I agree with Gary, Dennis. Those green backgrounds can be terrific, but they can also sometimes be a headache. I really like what you did with it. And the image of the bird is, of course, outstanding.

Love the detail in it’s feathers Dennis. I like the composition and how the OOF background colors seems to be reflected in the little bird. Fun capture.

Dennis: a fine capture of this little guy. I like the messed up/wet look of the feathers and how the brown of the bird blends into the lone oof brown area in the background. Richard

A neat image of an untidy bird. Great sharpness and dof with a pleasant background. Good light. As a very minor comment I would suggest to lower the bird just a little bit.

I guess I missed seeing this when I wasn’t able to sit much because of my back. Great look at this Chipping Sparrow, Dennis. Nice details, and I love the wet feathers. He gave you a nice head turn.

A very pleasing image of a Chipping Sparrow with a nice pose and detail and good colors. Trying to make up my mind if I like it posed against the complementary color or if it would look better against the green background. I think I’d lean towards the green as a personal preference.