Where did it go

Description: 3 little owls waiting for food.At first only one was in the hole and the second one appeared on the right and after a bout 5 minutes the 3rd one peeked out

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D500- Nikon 200-500 F5.6 - iso 800 - 1/500 f8

Is this a composite?no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

7 Likes

Avi,

This is awesome. It is a micro-landscape with 3 owls. I would not change anything and like this one as presented…Jim

1 Like

Perfect, Avi. Absolutely adorable. Truly and wonderful capture. As Jim said, I wouldn’t change a thing. Nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Great one, Avi. The one looking sideways takes this image over the top, too. As Linda said, absolutely adorable.

1 Like

This is a wonderful family portrait. Good for you for waiting out number 3. The detail on the owlets is just great. For me, the cliff is very bright. You have an option to bring it down a bit to accentuate the owlets even more. The attached might be heavy-handed, but hopefully conveys an idea.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback

This is adorable!! I tried something in between the original and @Dick_Knudson’s post, where I did a darker vignette at the edges but tapered it softly so the owls have the original exposure. It should be very subtle so the viewer is hardly aware of it. I held saturation down as I darkened, as it got a bit competitive with the little birds. Should have held it down more near the top.

3 Likes

This is the cutest! I personally wouldn’t change a thing! Perfectly captured! It must have been awesome to be there!

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen a bad image of owls and owlets! This is just great. That head turn of Number 3 is just way too cute. I think what @Dick_Knudson and @Diane_Miller have done does improve the image, but I would have been thrilled just to have a shot like this as you presented. Those eyes, they sure do stare at you. Great shot.

1 Like

3 Times as cute as one baby owl! Great capture with nice detail, Avi! The one looking sideways makes it even more special. I do kind of like the proposed adjustments by Dick Knudson & Diane Miller which add contrast & definition.

1 Like

I have no problem with your tones and light adjustments here, Avi. Of your version and the two edits, the brightness of the surroundings seem more natural (how I’d imagine that substance to look in person) in yours.

It is, of course, a wonderful moment. I’d actually consider a squarish crop since they’re so tightly bunched. I think there are merits to leaving some of the surrounding wall (its texture is a nice addition), but a slightly tighter presentation might narrow the viewer’s focus on the subject just a bit. That’s really a minor quibble… this is a winner in my book.

1 Like

Avi, these three are outstanding, especially with the tilted head of the one on the right. The color coordination between the owls and the rock add well and lets their eyes stand out.

1 Like

Too funny! I laughed out loud when I saw this :laughing:
What an amazing capture. Great job!

1 Like

The micro macro synchroncities between the colors, shapes and patterns of the eyes of the owl, the large eye shape in the wall, and the small eye patterns in the wall is very cool. Thanks! Also prefer it as presented rather than with a vignette.