White-fronted Geese Fly In - Repost

Wings Down

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Last week I got a really good chance to work on my flying bird focus techniques. These white-fronted geese were very cooperative as they flew over me twice on their way into the landing zone.

Specific Feedback

Shadows?

Technical Details

Canon 7D MII, f8, 1/2000 sec, iso 800, -0.3 Exp Bias, 560 mm (100-400/1.4 TC)

I guess the shadows go with the nice light you have. The first and third are my favorites with the trio coming at you and I like the wing position on the third.

Hi Ed, nice job capturing these especially the three together. The three look reasonably sharp overall to me. I do notice some noise in the wings of each bird in each shot in the shadows. I wonder if using some of the more advanced noise reduction tools would help here. Fine flight shots either way.

Hi Ed, these are fine shots of a goose I’ve not seen before. Nicely done. I could wish for a bit of separation from the right bird’s wing overlapping the second bird, but that’s a minor nit. My favorite is the third image. Well done.

I know them as specklebellys. I like all three, but 3 is my favorite, too.

Wow, thank you everyone @Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks, @David_Bostock, and @Jim_Gavin for your comments on these. I will reorder them in a repost, and see if I can bring down the noise in the shadows when I get a chance to rework them a bit.

I’m a bit late to this one, Ed, but these are some really nice shots of this species. Like others, I really like the trio. You shouldn’t have any problem bringing down the noise-I used my 7D2 as high as iso 2500 and got away with it.