Canada Goose Trio on the Wing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Cold morning sitting on the bank of a tiny pond in Fort Collins. Lots of waterfowl (Canada and cackling geese primarily) and I was watching for launches, landings, and rearing out of the water. My shutter speed is slow here but I was panning.

Specific Feedback

Having a hard time with the refining of mask edges in both LRC lens blur or when blurring the background ‘manually’ with a mask.

Technical Details

.Fujifilm X-T3, 1/1000s, f/8, ISO 3200, 560mm

Looks really good to my eye. The geese show excellent detail and you have the heads nicely separated. Looks like you had some nice light and the colors of the water and background work well with the geese. Great job. The background looks nicely out of focus.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks Thank you so much!

It’s so hard to get these kind of shots with all the birds in focus. But you nailed it, Debbie. Well done. A very nice scene. The light is wonderful.

1 Like

Beautiful light and an excellent example of conventional wisdom (keep the subjects separated) being full of baloney. Getting all three geese in such good focus is a real accomplishment and the overlap just works so well in this image. I have zero nits on this one, Debbie. Great work.

1 Like

@David_Bostock Thank you! It was a beautiful morning.

@Dennis_Plank Thanks! Zero nits!

WOW!! Super nice! Gorgeous composition and light, wonderful focus and detail!

The only way to deal with the need for fine detail in masking is to zoom in as far as necessary and touch up the mask edges with a fine brush. As mentioned in the Discussion, a pen tablet is mandatory for drawing fine detail. As @Kris_Smith mentioned there, I use mine for the cursor in almost all apps. (And Wacom seems finally to have gotten the bugs out of the Mac driver. They were huge.)

1 Like

@Diane_Miller Thank you! And I ordered a small Wacom tablet for editing. The mouse is so clunky.

Oh this is super! I like that they are so close together, but yet distinct. In actual fact they are more separated than it looks, but they do fly together in tight formations. Lovely light and I like how well you controlled the blacks. They’re rich, but with detail still. Just lovely.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith! Panning practice for sure.

Very nice Debbie with the birds in great light. Interesting formation of the trio together and nice job capturing the bird’s plumage. Well done.

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks Thank you! A lot of geese took off at once, I cropped this party out of a larger group because these had more separation than the rest.

Hi Debbie. I like this photo a lot. Getting all 3 geese in focus is not easy and you pulled it off well, as others have pointed out. For me the background is just right, blurred but with a sense of place. The lighting on the birds is another bonus.

1 Like

@Richard_Duckworth Thank you! That’s what I was going for - when the background was too blurry you couldn’t tell where the geese were. I like having a bit of context.

Three-headed Goose, wonderfully framed in excellent light. Well-deserved EP! Cheers, Hans

@Hans_Overduin Thank you!

Wow. Nice shot! Everything came together well on this one. Crisp focus on the geese. Perfect light. Well framed. Living by a small lake I hear geese take flight in the low light hours every morning and evening. Difficult shooting conditions for photographing birds in flight trying to balance f-stop, shutter speed, and iso. Great pan.
I have the same difficulty with LRC blur. But whatever you have done here looks good.

1 Like

@James_Bartek Thank you! I was using Auto ISO here. For the blur/masking issue I just spent time zoomed in cleaning up edges, but I’ve just bought a Wacom tablet that I think will be a lot easier to use than a mouse going forward.