White Lake Gull

I am new to this group and this is my first post. I am also new to wildlife photography, but I am inspired by the images on this site. This shot was taken from a boat in White Lake, which is adjacent to Lake Michigan.

I usually use a Nikon D90, but for portability this one used a Sony Rx100 vii.
settings f/7.1, 1/400, ISO 100.
I used Luminar 4 to crop to 80% of the original, and to sharpen a bit.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All technical feedback is helpful

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All artistic feedback is helpful

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Settings f/7.1, 1/400, ISO 100.
I used Luminar 4 to crop to 80% of the original, and to sharpen a bit.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome, Scott! I have always found constructive feedback to the best way to learn. It’s a good first post. I like that the bird is in the left third of the frame. You’ve given it a good amount of room to look into. The exposure also looks just right. The whites are nice and bright. A few suggestions for improvement: (1) the light looks a bit harsh here. Try shooting earlier or later in the day. (2) Try and find a bird on a natural perch. (3) You have a dustspot on your sensor that you can see just to the right of the bird. I’d clone it out in Luminar or Photoshop, if you have it. Shouldn’t take more than a second or two.

Again, welcome!

1 Like

Thanks very much. I appreciate the tips.

Scott
412-498-2715

| Lyle Gruby
28 July |

• | - |

Welcome, Scott! I have always found constructive feedback to the best way to learn. It’s a good first post. I like that the bird is in the left third of the frame. You’ve given it a good amount of room to look into. The exposure also looks just right. The whites are nice and bright. A few suggestions for improvement: (1) the light looks a bit harsh here. Try shooting earlier or later in the day. (2) Try and find a bird on a natural perch. (3) You have a dustspot on your sensor that you can see just to the right of the bird. I’d clone it out in Luminar or Photoshop, if you have it. Shouldn’t take more than a second or two.

Again, welcome!

Hi Scott:

Welcome to NPN. Glad to see you share an image here. Please keep posting, and also please contribute comments on the work of others. That’s what makes NPN such a great resource, honest, gentle, real feedback.

Technically, not a bad image, exposure is pretty good if not just bit hot with parts of the white breast beginning to be lost to overexposure. As noted, not an optimal perch, but hey, you have to get 'em where they are.

The biggest issue I have is the electric blue sky. I don’t know what it originally looked like, but even if it was that blue, I would tone it down a lot. It just competes with the bird. The bird also has a blue cast to it most notable in the shadowed parts. Here’s a version dealing with the sky and the bird. Maybe too far on the sky, but done to show a dramatic difference in the feel of the image.

1 Like

Thanks Keith. I see the differences. Good advice.