White Necked Jacobin in flight with tropical flower

One of the best reasons I can think of to visit Costa Rica for a hummingbird photographer is the 50 different species in the region. From natural light to single flash to multi-flash, one has many choices for their approach. Although it is dark in many of the settings where flash is required, there are opportunities for natural light photography.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-1400, 300 mm at F6 .3, 800th, single flash at -3, handheld, just under full frame
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is really nice David. Very nice pose you caught and the blur in the wings and tail give it a natural look. Nice background. Has a slight flashed look to me but not too much.

Great wing position, David. The -3 on the flash worked nicely to add some pop without darkening the background unduly Since you were at 300 mm, were you also using a diffuser on your flash? I ask because there is a bit of a flashed look to the flower and that might have reduced it. I don’t know, never having tried this, just seems like something that might work if one were close enough.