White Throated Mountain Gem

Costa Rica, inland, Pacific Coast. Overcast and under jungle canopy. Thanks to Keith Bauer for correct ID…

What technical feedback would you like if any?

A fill flash may have improved the dark plumage and eye…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1600, 300mmPF, f8, 1000th, D500, no flash, handheld, 60% full frame.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful, David. I like the detail in the plumage and the head turn works nicely to show off the white throat.

David, I like this shot very much. The details and colors are really nice. As Dennis pointed out, that head turn works nicely too.

I think this is very nice. Light looks good. Sure, maybe a little fill would have helped, but still a nice image with a nice background.

I’m pretty certain this is not a White Necked Jacobin. My best guess is a White Throated Mountain Gem or possibly a Purple Throated Mountain Gem. Jacobin coloration is very different from this.

Keith:
Thanks for getting back to me and for your comments.

I agree this is probably a White Throated MountainGem. My guidebooks were not very good and helping with the image.

After looking at my White Neck Jacobin image, I can see clearly the difference.

Great look at this beauty, David. The background is a little overpowering, but the subject is sharp enough that it stands out, especially in the larger version. Nicely composed as well.

Colors look good. The iridescence comes through nicely and the detail is excellent.