Wild Dogs Hunting Buffalo

When I choose my annual list of favorite images, I pick not just the “best” shots, but my most memorable moments. This definitely qualified in the latter category. It was taken from a moving vehicle as we bounced along hoping to catch up to a pack of wild dogs in Zambia’s Lower Zambezi National Park. Though there was a bit of foreshadowing that led to this moment—dogs over here, Cape buffalo over there—once the chase starts you really have no idea where it will go.

In this case, the herd was smart. They stuck to the trees, making it harder for the dogs to isolate any individuals. The spectacle was something to behold. Dust and trees often obscured the action, but the sounds emanating from the tumult (grunts, snorts and the rumbling of hooves from the buffs, high-pitched excited yips from the dogs) added to the atmosphere. It was truly remarkable. It lasted a good ten minutes, but every one of the couple hundred buffalo escaped.

Canon R6
Canon 100-500mm
ISO 1000
1/8000th
f/5.6

Max

@maxwaughphoto
4 Likes

This must have been a great experience to watch. You’ve really captured the drama. The bright, dusty haze in the center of the photo framed by the bushes in the foreground almost makes me feel like I’m there.

1 Like

Max, the story is excellent. As I looked, my initial thought was that if the Buffalo stick together, the dog’s don’t have a chance, but sometimes there one of the prey that decided to bolt…bad idea… The dirt and the poses of the animals definitely show the action. Love those big fluffy tails on the dog…quite a flag

1 Like

Your story along with the image puts me right there, Max! This had to be incredible to witness first hand. I can see why this is in your list of favorites for the year.

1 Like

Tremendous storytelling - both in words and in the photo. I just watched an older documentary about lions hunting buffalo and boy those things are like tanks. It’s a wonder the lions get them never mind the dogs, but they do.

1 Like

I really like how this scene, though quite distant, is framed on both sides and specially at the top. The masses of bright leaves seem to add to the frenzied action below them. That buffalo being singled out on the left must have been strong enough to escape.

1 Like

A lot of drama and action in this shot, Max! I can see why it would be a memory that sticks with you. It would be really cool to have a short sound recording to play when you view it! The large version really has a lot of presence (puts you right there watching the action!).

1 Like