Wild Willows

I have been really interested in the images from @Bonnie_Lampley recently as it aligns with some of the things I have been interested in recently. I reached out on one of her posts for some tips on how she was getting some of these shots so I could try it out on my own and she was kind enough to share some pointers! To be honest, I wasn’t really sure what I had when I came back to load them onto the computer and I don’t think they are anything super special…but I had fun shooting them and processing them. The goal was to try to reduce contrast and play up the soft dreamy effect of shooting through the branches but still maintain some sharpness at the core of the image. I also wanted to enhance the red/pink tones against the cool gray/magenta backdrop.

I shot the image on top first and shared it with Bonnie on one of her posts earlier, she pointed out the two crossing branches toward the top third of the image which I didn’t really notice as I was shooting. I was more focused on the sweep from bottom right to upper left, but I went back to explore my images after her comment and found the one below which I like both the edit and the subject better!
Version 2

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not @Bonie but I’m open to any and all feedback. Finding a “subject” or something to focus on that isn’t random in these was challenging so if you have tips on that I would be open to hearing!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

David, I do think your second one is better in that it is feels less busy. The tones and colors are still beautiful (they are in the first one, too). I think it’s the elimination of the thicker OOF reddish branch in the 2nd one that makes it more pleasing.

The first image has so many branches that it was hard to find a point of focus. The second is less busy and in sharper focus throughout. Interesting concept.

Dave, both views are fine looks at winter willows. They are a fun but challenging subject. The first one captures the density of a big clump well, while the emphasis on the smaller vertical branches in #2 tells a similar story, with a different emphasis.

@Bonnie_Lampley Bonnie, thanks again for sharing your process and some of the things you look for! The colors are probably my favorite part…

@Patricia_Brundage The first one is chaotic for sure which is the nature of the scene but I think the second one is much better for sure.

@Mark_Seaver Thank you! The second one is my favorite of the two for sure.

They both have a similar feel to me. I think what makes them work are the soft colors and the fact the the two colors, warm and cool, create some added tension.

Hey @Tony_Kuyper thanks for checking in…and huge thank you for the TK panel, I use it all the time! I agree they have similar feel to them, both are more on the chaotic side for sure. I tried to get the tones and colors as similar as possible, one of my goals is to get a bit more controlled and consistent in my editing and the warm/cool was a focus for this image along with enhancing the soft/dreamy effect.