Wildlife, landscape, nature spots in New Mexico

Planning a 10-14 day visit to New Mexico early September 2022. Never been there and wonder if anybody has any advice on must see locations. My primary interest is wildlife but can be just as happy with wonderful landscapes, flora, and even old buildings. Some “googling” was interesting but not really all that much help. Still feel I’m flying blind. Any advice appreciated.

Hi @john7 . I live in Albuquerque and have been there since 1988.

Early Sept is a too early for the large wintering populations of birds at Bosque Del Apache NWR. There will be birds there, but a very different look than the winter months of December/January.

White Sands is a great location. If you want to get in early, you need to contact the Park service there, to have someone open the gate for early photography. There is a fee. I don’t remember how much. Otherwise you get in too late for any great early morning light.

Carlsbad Caverns is also a nice place to visit.

The far northwest corner has some great landscape opportunities, as does the north central part of the state near Taos. Santa Fe has plenty of opportunities for cultural kinds of things.

Largely depends on what you want to see and photograph. Hope that helps some.

Keith

It’s been a while, but we used to rent a cabin every year between Taos and Angel Fire, not far from Sipapu Ski Lodge. Driving what is called the “Enchanted Circle” affords many opportunities for wildlife and nature photography. A float trip down the Rio Grande or a mountain trail ride also affords opportunities. Perhaps a ride on the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge scenic railroad would be to your liking. I’ve done all these and recommend them all. Talking about this is making me itch to go back! Good luck!