Willow grouse and hunter's cabin

This is actually a cultural historical photo of the ancient Sami hunting culture. Grouse trapping has always been an important livelihood for the inhabitants of Arctic Northland, and small huts have been built in the wilderness for this purpose. Nowadays this culture is dying

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I rarely photograph animals, but if one comes in front of me, I might take a picture of it. I don’t even own a longer lens

Technical Details

Canon Eos 20D / EF 300/4 IS

Jorma,

Thanks for jumping in and posting this.

I think one of the things we need to document, as photographers ,are dying ways of life. Your words give this a context of meaning.

It is interesting that the hut is in the background and not sharp…but the grouse is. Almost as if saying…the grouse get to live now that this way of life is moving into the background.

So your image captures the story and it needs the words with it to tell the whole story and get people to pause and take this in. That hits me and brings up emotion about this and cheering for the grouse!

I think you could crop the edges of this even together to put the emphasis on the relationship between the grouse and the hut. Also you might try a slight vignette on the edges to pull the eye in even more.

Hope that helps.

Julie

1 Like

A telling image, thanks for sharing. I love the composition and the DOF. Well done, Hans

1 Like