Window to Rainier

Revised photo to straighten tree on left:

Thank you for the suggestion Andre!

Original post:

I went back to the archives for this shot of Rainier, taken on 8/3/2018. This was a foggy morning at Chinook Pass on highway 410 close to Tipsoo Lake. I spent a few hours shooting wild flowers when the clouds started to break up a bit. I waited quite awhile an finally a small window opened up. Right after I got this shot the window slammed closed and didn’t open again that day.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D850, 1/200 sec, 24-70 at 29mm, f8, ISO 200, handheld

Cropped to eliminate a bit of clutter on the sides and bottom, cloned out a few branches from neighboring trees.

Beautiful light Steve. I like the multiple layers and the in-framing. The tree on the left might be naturally curved but I would be tempted to straighten it to keep balance with the one on the right. The light sneaking over the first mountain top is the icing on the cake!

Thank you for the comments and suggestion @AndreDonawa! I agree about the tree on the left and added a revised version at the top.

1 Like

Gorgeous!! I love the light on the misty clouds! Very nicely framed by the trees and very interesting atmospheric perspective on the mountains.

Steve, the “window” of clouds letting Rainer peek through is a fine compositional tool. I also like the foreground ridge and the trees.

Sometimes we get lucky being at the right spot at the right time. It must have been amazing watching the clouds open to see this glorious mountain peak. Thank you for capturing this shot for us to see. Beautifully done.