Winter in my part of the world

Image Description

I’d been trying to find a typical winter scene in my area and came up blank. Then this morning Ted wanted to fly somewhere for breakfast and I was hoping to find some snow scenes. This was about it – severe clear with an occasional dusting of snow on the hills, or 50% gray. (Visualize Edit > Fill…) In fact, this is about as severe clear as I’ve ever seen it – the faint horizon line above the hills is the Pacific Ocean.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The scenery here is pretty bleak. This area (and many others) has been devastated by fires in the last 8-10 years. I wish the top of the hill didn’t line up with the distant ones but it wasn’t worth circling and climbing or descending. And shooting through plexiglas is very low-percentage.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 2.08.53 PM

Minimal B/W point adjustment in LR; into PS for a curve to increase contrast in the sky. (Could have done that in LR these days…)

1 Like

Hi Diane,
that’s a really nice view. And thanks for adding the detail about the pacific ocean. What is the distance to the sea?

It is sad to see such scenes where a few years ago there was a dense forest. More and more bare patches are also appearing in our forests. In our country, however, it is not the fire but the bark beetle that harms the trees.

This is a pretty impressive shot for being taken through a plexiglass plane window, Diane! I’m glad you pointed out the ocean in your description. Just knowing that provides an extra degree of depth in the scene! I’m glad you were able to find a little bit of snow for the Winter Scene challenge. My problem is just the opposite. I have so many snow scene photos that I have a hard time picking which ones to post :grin:

Thanks, @Jens_Ober and @Gary_Minish! Jens, from the “snow covered” peak to the coast is about 35 miles. From the peak to the distant hills is about 25 miles.

Unfortunately, we have pine bark beetles too. They weaken the trees so that fires are even more devastating. And then add in the 10-15 years of increasing drought and heat in the west…