Winter Meditation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image from a hike in Donau Auen National Park, a riparian forest along the Danube river east of Vienna. Back from a day tour, my wife and I took a rest and had a picnic in this quiet and remote place. This oxbow lake was partially frozen after severe frost during the last nights. The trees in the background were still lit in the late afternoon, and the warming and comforting glow of their reflection cought my attention. I was especially attracted by the cooler and warmer shades complementing each other.

Technical Details

Panasonic DG-G9, lens 35-100 mm 2.8 @ f/9, 1/13sec, ISO 400, tripod, polarizer

1 Like

Thanks for posting this Peter! I have to say, this image stopped me from scrolling past…I think it was a combination of I wasn’t sure initially what I was looking at and then the colors and shapes. It could almost be more of an abstract than a landscape image, depending on how you look at it.

I really like it. If it were mine, I might play around a bit with trying to create some more visual depth in the image…maybe working to add contrast or deepen the blacks in the back half of the scene. Keep the front bright and inviting and then bring some weight in to the back. Maybe a little vibrance on the reflections in the water…not too much because I like the subtleness of the scene.

Just some thoughts as I studied the image. Well seen and shot!

John, thank you for your thoughtful comments on my image, I appreciate them.
Peter