Winter Morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

COLD, crisp winter morning outside of Fussen, Germany.

Specific Feedback

While I think its an OK image I am not sure I care for the reeds at the bottom of the image. There is something about the image that looks just “OK”. Not Wow, beautiful or spectacular etc. Critique/input is welcome

Technical Details

ISO 100
F14
1/320
16MM Sony FE2.8 16-35 GM
Sony A7 RIII

I like the use of the starburst behind the mountain peak. While the details on the ice are interesting, the reeds are a bit distracting and messy. I would make two images out of this scene. The first thing you could do is use a telephoto and zoom in on the background to bring more attention on the tree line and mountains. The wide angle lens really distorts them and makes them feel very small.

For the other shot, you could maybe shift you focus to a more abstract/detail shot of the ice/snow clusters and use a top down composition. Not sure how thick the ice is, but it seems fairly thin judging by the open water on the left side of the image. But if thick enough you might be able to find some interesting shapes and patterns, especially with those longer shadows.

This is an interesting image to me John, because it has so many great elements but yet struggles to “come together” to my eye. That’s a great sunstar. The ice balls flowing along the lake shore into the distance are fascinating. I also enjoy the “tossed towel” look of the snow on the edge of the lake.

I think what is challenging, though, is all of these elements don’t seem to lead my eye through the image; it has to jump around a bit to take them all in.

Thank you sir. Appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

Your comments hit home and I failed to truly identify what I want the image to say. There is no specific story that leads the viewer/reader/ If the subject is “boring” the reader puts the book down. That’s the job of us as photographers, craft a story that grips the “reader.” Great feedback and thank you for jarring my thoughts.

1 Like