Winter Oak

This is an image from Alby Nature Reservation in Tyresö, a southeast suburb of Stockholm. I do enjoy making photos of trees and I especially like the graphical effects with snow on the branches.

I have done some dodging and burning to make the background more diffuse.
This is my first time here so I hope to get critiques on the image itself (too cluttered?) and the pp.

Nikon Z6, 24-70/f4 on 70 mm, ISO 800, f5,6 and 1/1000 sek.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

lazzeluz on ig

2 Likes

Lars,
This is a wonderful find and beautiful winter image! The contrast and choice of texture you used in processing is spot on for me. I also like the centering of the tree and overall choice of composition. Really a superb image IMO! One nit, it it were mine I would desaturate the two bare limbs, one in the center of the main trunk and one on the left side of the frame…then I would hang it in on the wall.
Well done!

1 Like

Lars,
This tree is a wonderful candidate for a B&W! I do not find the scene to cluttered and the processing kooks great IMO. I do like the graphic quality of the snow against the darker tones of the tree limbs. I do have two small suggestions; the first being a small crop off the right side to get rid of the dead snag on the lower right edge. The second is to clone out whatever that flesh toned area is about half way up the trunk of the tree as it catches my eye a bit. I think those small couple of tweaks would elevate this lovely image another notch. BTW, I love the character of the tree.

1 Like

Lars,I love trees with strong character, and this tree has a ton of character. The dead center placement of the tree is very effective, and creates a strong statement. I think your processing looks excellent as well.

I agree with @Ed_Lowe about the distractions in the lower right corner. I would crop a little from the right here, to eliminate the dark tree trunk that merges with the right frame edge. I would also suggest cloning away the 45 degree leaning now covered branch to the left of that dark trunk as well. But these are minor tweaks, overall this image is very well done, and has a lot of impact.

1 Like

Love this image. I like the format for this as well as the hint of colour (B&W could work well with this as well.) The contrast between the branches and the snow is wonderful. But, really, this is simply a beautiful tree in all its fractal glory and you have captured that beautifully. I think you have isolated the tree very nicely and I don’t find it cluttered in the least. In fact, the fine filigree of the branches in the background perfectly offset the strong branching elements of the tree itself. We all have our little nits to pick and mine would be that I wish there was a tad more breathing space between the bottom of the tree trunk and the frame. Very nicely done, indeed.

1 Like

I agree that this tree has a lot of character and it’s to your credit to have seen this in the field. I like the subtle shades of brown in this image which you would lose in b&w. My first thought about why this was exceptional was due to all the texture in the tree trunk. A close up of the tree shows off the texture better but you lose the airiness of the thinner upper branches which convey a light mood. I especially like that curved branch in the lower left without which the composition would be weaker. I wouldn’t worry about the chaotic nature of the comp. Trees are supposed to look a bit wild. It’s one of their attractive features.

1 Like

I love this Lars, snow photography can be tricky. I also like how the observer is left wondering how tall this tree is. I might try cropping just enough to hide the post on the lower right but it is just a minor thing. This would photo would make a nice large print.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind and useful comments. I actually did not notice the post in the LR corner. When I look at and work with a picture extensively I some times miss the obvious.

Trees make wonderful subjects. Have you seen the images of Charles Cramer who does wonders with trees? I agree with the comments of @Ed_Lowe and @Ed_McGuirk and @Igor_Doncov. I would clone out the brown snake-like branch or object in the main trunk as well as that dark blob in LRC.
The texture and detail in this image keep me looking at it. Great image.

Lars,

I love my trees too, and this is one tree to love. Love the winter dress too. Just beautiful.

I also appreciate leaving this in color as I like the subtle brushed of color around.

Hard to think of anything to improve upon. I guess the one small thing would be wishing for just a little more included at the bottom - just for structure, anchor? But that’s pretty minor; if it’s not already cropped at the bottom, then not much to do.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Hi @lars, a really good shot. It seems a portrait, i love how you composed the image especially in the upper part. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the comment and the suggestion to look at the images of Charles Cramer. I had a look and they were fantastic. I didn’t know of him.

Thank you @Lon_Overacker and @masdamb for your comments and suggestions.

Thanks for looking at Charlie Cramer’s images. Looking at his photos has taught me a lot. Larry

Check out also William Nell’s work for trees:

http://portfolios.williamneill.com/portfolio/C000075CFwtbs9YQ/G0000dm5eUvaWZdM

Thank you @Igor_Doncov for the tip! Amazing photos.