Winter Pond

Flat light is my favorite kind of light, because I like the mood it sets. Combine that with a nice pond, and I’m a really happy camper.

This pond isn’t what most would call beautiful - it’s basically a storm water runoff pond wedged between a newish highway and the remains of the old highway. It’s really turbid - like chocolate milk. I’d always wanted to check it out, but never had until late last month. I made some test shots and knew I’d have to come back.

The flat light works with my concept here (a few sharp “above the surface” plants, with OOF reflections for background) because in bright light the plants above the water surface have shadows which would ruin the sort-of surreal look I wanted. Bright light also would pick out the background trees and make their reflections too prominent.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments are always welcome. The colors and contrast are muted just because I liked that mood. I did increase the contrast a tad through dodging/burning and a slight curve because it was just too flat in the original.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, Sony a7r3, 100-400mm @269mm, f/16, 1/40s, ISO400, and I actually used my tripod for a change.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @bonnie_lampley

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I quite like this. It has a fine dreamy, surreal look. The high-keyish presentation contributes nicely to that mood, too. Minor, but I might burn the brightest highlights in the reflection almost at the bottom.

Whoa, I like this a lot. Very surreal. Perhaps I will tone down the contrast of the reflections that go through the plants, but every element comes together very nicely here.

Bonnie, the colors in the grasses are quite striking. Controlling the brightness of the reflections is important in this shot. I too could see some burning-in of the reflection on the right as it passes through the grasses. Overall this is an attractive view. Great job on finding and showing beauty in a challenging spot.

Thank you @Harley_Goldman, @Adhika_Lie, and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts. I’ve posted a re-work taking your comments about the highlights in the reflections into account. In the original, I had a curve to increase contrast, over the entire photo, so all highlights were accentuated. The re-work removes the image-wide curve, with just the highlights on the plants accentuated. Maybe it still needs work - can’t decide if I went too far. Will live with it for awhile, then decide.

My take is you went a little far. I like the top area in the original. I only had issue with the bottom reflection. But that of course is just personal preference.

1 Like

Bonnie, I agree with Harley, the reduced brightness in the tree reflections looks good, but the contrast reduction and colors in the plants are better in V1.

1 Like

Bonnie,

This is beautifully seen and captured; quite unique actually. Agree with others the light/contrast is best in your original as the repost I think lost a bit too much contrast. As Harley suggests, just tweaking the brighter tree reflections should do the trick.

Fabulous image.

Lon

1 Like

I like the repost Bonnie - seems to me more consistent with your stated intent. Dang - you’ve got some kinda skills girl to make a mud puddle into a thing worthy of pondering and resting within the image!

1 Like

I find the original quite lyrical, fun and abstract. For me, the repost is equally as good, it is just more realistic and seems to fit with your thoughts. Nice job on the original and manipulating the repost.

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker, @linda_mellor, thank you. @Jim_McGovern, thank you for the kind words!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.