Winter Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had a mid winter thaw in NH, so I went looking for interesting subjects in the local forest. I am learning to “see” abstract images, it is a struggle. I did like this reflection, the contrasting blues and yellows caught my eye. There were no leaves on the trees, but the leaves in the water almost simulate a fall scene.

Specific Feedback

Is this too contrasty? I wanted to have some definition yet keep it soft. Apologies for the nameplate, couldn’t figure out how to delete it once it was there…

Technical Details

Canon R6, EF 100-400 lens with adapter, 1/4 sec at f16, ISO 100. I used both LR and Photoshop, still learning Photoshop with TK8 panel.
This is a reflection. I inverted the image and processed it as an abstract New England fall image just for fun.

1 Like

I find this lovely and intriguing! The tonalities and colors work very well for me, and I love that the leaves in the water are faux leaves on the trees! Wonderful seeing and processing! My only small suggestion would be to bring down the bright highlights at the bottom – just a bit. Well done!

Hi. I really like this image. It looks more like a painting of a fall forest than a photograph and the colors are lovely. You have to look close to spot that the leaves are not on the trees but in the water and it’s a really nice easter egg in my book (took me a while to get what @Diane_Miller was going on about :flushed: )

As for the contrast, I think it’s fine but if you want it really soft you could probably tone it down a bit more, but it’s so much up to individual taste

Hi Mary, welcome and thank you for sharing your terrific image here in the abstract channel! I think the contrast levels look fine. I like the color combination in the image with the warm leaves and blue sky. You could try to shift the white balance a little cooler to bring out more separation in the leaves but it looks good as is. Just a matter of personal taste.

I’d like to commend you for exploring and trying to see more “abstract” scenes. You noticed that there were no leaves on the trees but there were on the water. Then you carefully arranged the scene to invite the viewer to dig deeper. This is exciting to read and I encourage to keep your mind and eyes open to these fun slices of nature in this way. Thank you!

Oh, very well seen! This is just lovely. It’s not too contrasty at all. I agree with Alfredo about those bright highlights at the bottom - just a bit too bright. You could bring them down or, alternatively, crop the bottom. I’m thinking this would make this even more abstract, by removing some context. Here’s my idea (I also cooled it a tad as Alfredo suggested). Just an idea, because it’s very cool as it is!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller , @Ingemar_Holmkvist , @Alfredo_Mora , @Bonnie_Lampley Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Alfredo_Mora , @Bonnie_Lampley, @Diane_Miller I do like losing the bright highlights at the bottom and the crop.

I will continue to explore and learn to “see” more abstract images, it was fun!