Winter reflections

Water often makes excellent abstracts. This is a late afternoon look the reflections of winter trees in flat water, rippled by the wind. One challenge in a view like this is to get enough motion so that you don’t notice the sharpness change across the view. (5D3, 100-400 @ 340, 1/80 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod)

3 Likes

Mark, this is a treat to the eyes. I love the shades of colors, lines, texture, just everything. That is a good bit of advice too, that you need movement in the water to keep the DOF from showing in the scene. Great shot. I could see this one as a puzzle to put together!

1 Like

Excellent abstract, Mark. The colors are sensational. And as @Shirley_Freeman said, great tip for DOF considerations. Well done!

1 Like

Beautiful fall color palette, Mark. The texture and movement reminds me of a tapestry. Very nicely seen and captured.

Beautiful colors and ripples, Mark! I love those golden brown hues with the whites and blacks. It’s perfect the way it is!

Mark,

LOVE this! And so glad you posted here. I hope this category is full of natural abstracts like this - as well as new ICM’s. I want to see them all!

Just love the colors and contrasts here. I’m always seeking out these wonderful reflection scenes. This one is a beauty.

The only suggestion I might be is a slight crop. Mostly to remove the lighter strip on the right edge. Not a huge deal, but it does draw the eye. Alternatively burn/paint it a bit to reduce the tone.

Wonderful abstract of nature!

Lon

Mark, your image has so many wonderful patterns and is certainly abstract. The earth tone colors work well together too. The only thing I would consider addressing is the brighter tree trunk reflection on the left side. You can either clone it out or crop it out. Either way, this is a fantastic abstract image!

Wonderful!!! Perfect distribution of trunks and amount of distortion, and the grays work so well against the copper golds.