Winter Foliage

Having fun photographing in an icy swamp! I was drawn by the image of the trees reflecting in a small area of thawed ice. The leaves in and under the ice seem to still be on the tree. I think the sole leaf in lower third on top of the ice brings reality to the scene and I tried to highlight it as well.

I am adding another version as I could not decide which worked better. I think the second isolates the tree better but may make the image to complicated…thoughts

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition and processing or anything else.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70mm ,f/13, 1/4, iso 100

1 Like

Hi Mario! I love this! It looks like a black and white painting! They each have their own but I think I like the top one better. It kind of reminds me of Van Gough’s “Starry Night” painting. Very nicely captured scene!

Mario, this is an unusual subject, but I “get” the story / optical illusion of the leaves still seeming to be on the tree . For my personal taste I prefer the first image with less contrast. You are trying to tell a relatively subtle story here, and I think you should aim for the lower level of contrast since to me it creates a more dreamy, painterly look. The higher contrast version introduces a bit more "reality"than I prefer, and makes it harder for me to appreciate the abstract patterns in the ice.