Winter Sandhill Crane II

What technical feedback would you like if any? Enough contrast?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I like this pose with enough of the bird’s body left from the crop.

Any pertinent technical details: D500 600mm f4 (1/250th sec at f6.3, Iso 800); Lightroom Flat profile, levels, Brightness & Contrast, DeNoise; Hue saturation adjustment layer for Cyan, Dodge on the iris. Sandhill cranes are more common in Michigan now than ever before. Slight crop for comp. 25 degree temperatures and they increase the amount of insulation by puffing out their feathers. They have lost most of the red brown feathers that adorn their plumage during the breeding season. I prefer closeups of these birds because they have a lot of character that is best seen up close. On a lighter note, they were peering into my car from about 2 feet away hoping for a flying sandwich! Enjoy…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent detail and sweet BG. Beautiful subtle winter colours.
Sandy

Excellent color, detail, pose, and background. Very nice to be able to have them as close as 2 feet away from your car though I realize this one was taken with your 600.

I really like the head and neck on this portrait, Jim. I don’t know if you had enough light to pull it off, but I think this would have a bit more kick with the body more in focus. Still a very pleasing image of this species.

What nice soft light…and outstanding detail,

This is such a beautiful portrait. Great detail and composition. I love that he seems to be cutting his eye back toward you.

A great portrait of this guy, and a lovely story to go with it, Jim. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Thank you all for your comments and critiques. Dennis, I may have been able to go up to f10, but exposure would have been too slow and the background would have become too blotchy.It was a very dark morning, but when the sun was trying to poke through the clouds, it was like shooting with a huge concave light diffuser. And that when I fired off the shot. I did a 9 by 14 print and its going on the wall–the lighting was perfect for the shot…Jim