Winter Willow

Revised version:

Original version:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So far, it’s been an unusually warm and dry winter where I live in Montana, but I managed to find this wintry scene a few days ago when we had a very cold, foggy morning. Everything along this creek was covered in a layer of thick frost. The dark limbs of this willow stood out to me against the foggy sky.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Technical Details

54 mm, ISO 100, f/9, 1/50 sec., tripod. I made some light adjustments in LR to add a little contrast to the image, but I was reluctant to add too much contrast as I really like the softer gray tones in the lower left part of the image.

It’s always a pleasure to see work that strives to capture the essence of a moment, and this image certainly speaks to that endeavor. The choice to present this scene in black and white is commendable; it strips down the scene to its raw forms and textures, which in turn accentuates the interplay between the delicacy of the trees and the stillness of the water. Your ability to balance the light and dark elements creates a harmonious contrast that gives the composition a serene and contemplative quality.

Thank you for your comments, @Saundie. I appreciate your feedback. I was lucky to come upon this little scene. The morning I shot this, I almost decided to stay home instead of going out, and even when I was wandering along this creek, I only came to this particular spot as an afterthought.

I think I understand the mood and feel you’re after in this image. I feel it needs to be a bit less contrasty. I would try lifting up some of the darker blacks. The light tones are fine as they are.

Thank you for the feedback, @Igor_Doncov. I played around with lifting the blacks and am including a revision above for comparison. I agree that the darker blacks, particularly on the tree trunks, were a little too dark. I tried not to change things too drastically, but I think there’s a noticeable difference in the newer version.