Winters Filigree

Nothing fancy, just handheld shooting straight up with a wide angle lens, on the morning after a light snowstorm. I took about 10 shots before I found an arrangement of the branches that was pleasing to me. I used a polarizing filter and had some uneven blue tones in the sky which I tried to balance out in post-processing.

This image looks best viewed large.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments would be welcome.

6 Likes

This is a classic look that turned out rather well. I like the trunk structure against the brilliant blue sky.

Hi @Ed_McGuirk, really nice image. I like the contrast between trees in sky. I don’t know if the trees in the right upper part unbalances the composition, However it’s a godd image in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

This is really pretty, Ed.The blue sky makes a great canvas for the backlight snow covered branches. Framing and post look great to me. No suggestions.

Frame filling good, Ed. No nits from me.
:vulcan_salute:

Thank you for sharing your snow, Ed. I love to see the snow up in the trees like this. Great shot.

The light on the branches is glorious Ed. I also like your chosen composition and processing.

When I saw this on the thumbnail, I thought, “The rim light is so gorgeous!” and then I realize it’s snow. Very abstract, very well seen, and very well processed. My only wish and this is really nitpicking, is to have a stronger branch coming from the UR corner for symmetry but I think this is gorgeous as is.

@masdamb @Adhika_Lie @Harley_Goldman @Shirley_Freeman @Dave_Dillemuth @Michael_Lowe @Adhika_Lie @Eva_McDermott I thank everyone for your comments and observations, I appreciate them. Winter has been rather tame here this year, but sometimes you just have to look a little harder to find something interesting.

@Adhika_Lie Yes, Rim Light - in the small versionI can see where this could be perceived as rim light, I have shot trees at the top of the rim of Zion canyon taken from below where I got some rim light that looked sort of like this.

These type of snowy tree shots are harder to get than one might think. Many of the snowstorms here are part of strong storm fronts moving through with a lot of wind that knocks the snow off the trees. It’s relatively rare to get the right conditions for this type of shot, snow overnight with a clear windless day the next morning. I definitely got lucky on this morning.

This is awesome Ed! Wouldn’t change a thing - I think you’ve rendered the blue sky perfectly and of course the snow-dusted branches stand out beautifully. Love it.

Lon

This turned out beautifully, Ed. The blue of the sky is perfect and makes for a wonderful backdrop of the snow dusted limbs. I particularly like the framing with the limbs and the way they radiate and fill the frame. Excellent work.

Shots like this make me wonder why we don’t put more art on the ceiling. I can imagine lying on a couch and getting lost in this…