Wisents in the snow

Three wisents, European bisons, are slowly walking up a slope in the snow.

Specific Feedback Requested:

The second and the last animal overlap in the frame. I’d prefer to have them separated. I have another image with 4 animals, all separated, but one of them has its head down and that’s why I prefer this one. Does it bother you that the animals touch in the frame?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No.

Pentax K3 Mk. iii, Sigma 100-300mm with 1.4TC, 1600 ISO (it was at the end of a grey day, and it was snowing), 1/400s, f/7.1.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Pleasant image with alluring high key tonality. The comp utilizes good diagonal components. I might try to bring out facial detail on the middle and right bison.

Han, the overlapped Wisents don’t bother me at all. The scene seems very natural (having watched many Bison in Yellowstone National Park). Their darkness sure stands out against all of the snow. The falling snow is a great addition.

There are so many great images in this Challenge. And this one is no exception.

The diagonal line of the animals and their almost not seen footprints is very appealing. It looks like hard going for them.

I think there is enough separation in the beasts created by the lighter tone of the last one and the horn give it enough separation.