Work of Art

Taken yesterday at a local nature preserve, this is one of the more “formal” stone walls I’ve ever encountered in the woods. It suggests that at the time of its construction, the surrounding land was probably all pasture and this wall may have been visible from a nearby road. I was hoping the late afternoon sun would illuminate it with a nice warm glow, but gathering clouds prevented that from happening. Tried changing the white balance to cloudy and shade, but the results looked too artificial for my tastes.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a77M2, ISO 400, f/14, 1/25s, AWB, tripod mounted, Tamron 16-300 lens at 24mm (35mm equivalent). Made minor adjustments in post to exposure, contrast and clarity.

Wow! Someone went to a lot of work to build this. Nice capture. Jim. It is something of a work of art.

Jim, someone did put a lot of effort into this wall. It looks very good and it’s held up very well. I like the long view of the wall with the snow at it’s base. The overcast light is good for letting the details in the stones show, but they make for an uninteresting sky. That leads me to suggest cropping most of the sky from this view and wondering how getting closer so that there is less sky and more wall in the frame might work.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, good ideas and I’ll try them.