Yellowstone NP in Winter

Description:

I attended a NANPA workshop in January, 2018 in Yellowstone National Park. The first day was heavy snow and we did not get much in the way of images. The next two days were clear, well below zero, and brisk. The good part was that all the snow that fell stayed on the tree branches for those days. We were up at dawn and out in the field all day. Bright sunlight the whole time.

This shot was taken at 11:25am near a geyser field. I waited for the steam to provide a soft box and filter the sunlight. It feels otherworldly to me. The color version was almost monochrome, so I converted it to B&W.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)No
Fujifilm GFX 50S, 32-64mm at 64mm, 1/480s @ f/16, ISO 100. I think this was hand held…Processed in Capture One with Across B&W profile.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, there’s a fine sense of mystery here from all of the mist and the trees and ridge almost hidden in the distance. The heavy snow is a good plus.

The twin touches of black in the corners are a nice anchor. The snow blanket helps emphasize the softness of the mist and there’s a nice amount of depth here. The break in the trees on both sides does a great job showing that. Strong composition.

Otherworldly – and on a clear day!! Wonderful what the steam did! The snow-laden trees, the burned ones and the distant steam-filtered ones make a wonderful composition. I can spend a long time wandering around in there! B/W is perfect here, to emphasize the shapes and especially the tonalities.

@Mark_Seaver, @_Kris, @Diane_Miller - Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.