Yin & Yang & Moon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am working on a long-term project where I go out and photograph trees in the night, highlighted by a streetlight of some sort. I was working on it the other night, when I saw this very cool tree with its reaching bare branches lit up by this very bright light. As I lined up the shot, I was surprised I could see the moon. So, I adjusted my frame a bit to get it in the shot, too. I was planning to do an exposure blending by bringing up the tree on the left that was in shadow. But when I saw this frame as it was, I decided I liked the blown-out whites. And how the two trees kinda echo the highlights and mid tones in the moon.

Specific Feedback

Does the harsh whites work? Or should I bring them down/blend with another frame? I realized when editing the light pole is almost centered between the trees. Should I go back and shoot it so it’s right in the middle? Anything else?

Technical Details

Canon R
24-240mm at 150mm
ISO 800
3.2 sec at f/10

Stunning! Personally, I don’t see how this could be any better. It really stopped me as I was scrolling through images. Whites are okay to me. Perhaps it might have been better if the pole was centered, but not a deal breaker.

1 Like

Thanks @Chris_Baird, always nice when I can stop someone with my photo. :slight_smile:

This is so interesting … I don’t understand how you did this photo or the editing. Really Amazing. I love the contrast and the title is perfect. !!!

What is exposure blending. How did you get the tree so white and then so dark. very cool !!!

Hey @Gill_Vanderlip, sorry, I’ve been away for a bit, and just getting to your note now. Glad you like the image and the title. First you asked about the editing. Actually, I didn’t do too much as this is not very different than what came out of the camera. I did have to PS out a bit of a house on the right. Also, you asked about exposure blending. If you haven’t looked it up already, it’s similar to focus stacking. But instead I would make a few images of the same scene at different exposures (over and under exposed). Like this one here, I was exposing for the darker tree on the left. Thus, the tree on the right is way overexposed. I did some images where I have the tree on the right at a “correct” exposure with texture in the trunk and branches and the tree on the left is almost black. In PS I could then blend them to make a more balanced exposed image. This is kinda a very simple explanation. There are many YouTube videos out there about it if you want real answers. Hope that helps get you thinking, though. Thanks.