Yosemite Cascade and Dogwood

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Whenever I get a chance to visit Yosemite these days I like to explore and try to find something I haven’t seen photographed before. On this trip I spent 2 days wandering up and down riparian corridors throughout the valley and was rewarded with this Dogwood in full bloom in the middle
of a hidden cascade.

Technical Details

Canon 5DmkIII with 17-40/4.0L
ISO 100, 1 sec., f11

2 Likes

What a great find! I feel like I should know where this is, but I’ll let you keep the secret.

I particularly like the boulder in the lower-center. Sort of a staid older gentlemen — maybe even a bit grumpy — watching as the trees and water engage in their springtime antics.

Paul,
The B&W conversion is quite lovely and has a nice range of tones throughout the scene. I particularly like the water flow over several of the boulders along with that amazing dogwood. My only suggestion would be to remove three bright areas in the BG trees. One is just left of the middle along the top edge and the second is above the large boulder left of the dogwood and the third is in the trees along the left side of the frame. This is a beauty; nicely done.