Yosemite Falls

Original:

Brighter Foreground:

EDIT: I have reworked the foreground trunks to make them a bit brighter per some suggestions. Which do you like better?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I finally made my first visit to Yosemite National Park this summer! I have been doing almost exclusively night & astro photography for the past few years, but have been shifting towards capturing daytime landscapes lately to break from normal and do something different.

I happened across this scene framing Yosemite Falls through two trees while on morning walk around Yosemite Valley. All of the waterfalls were spectacular this June because of the heavy snowfall from the winter.

Specific Feedback

This is a single exposure. I was able to get everything in focus due to the wide focal length. I had to process it quite a bit due to the brightness difference between the trees and the waterfall. I exposed for the waterfall, and lifted the shadows in processing.

I think I was able to balance the exposure properly, but am open to feedback. I also seek feedback for the color balance and overall aesthetic of the image, since coming away from such a popular location can be hard to create something original or different from all the other photographs we have already seen.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon R5
Lens: Canon RF 24-105 f/4L @ 28mm f/11
ISO: 100

1 Like

Technically, this looks great to me and a unique perspective. Nice.

It’s hard to find new views of Yosemite Falls, but you succeeded here.

A new, refreshing view of the falls. Great idea and well executed.

@Ronald_Murphy , @Jim_Gavin , @WillR - Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you like the new view!

I’ve never seen this view of the falls, and as commonly as they are photographed that’s really saying something. Processing looks good, and the composition is really interesting. Loving this one!

@Bret_Edge, thank you for the encouraging words! This is one of my favorites from the trip!

Great shot Kyle.

I really like that composition and how well you were able to line up the waterfall and its reflection in the tree. The processing looks good as well. I think the tree and the falls both look very natural.

Kyle,

Excellent view and perspective of the iconic Yosemite Falls! Also, an excellent job executing and getting the necessary depth of field in single frame! I love the texture and detail of twin Ponderosa’s; there’s even a little bit of reflected light on the lower left. very cool.

You are so right about the amount of water in the valley this spring and early summer; almost unprecedented. You were so fortunate to catch this composition because the water in Cook’s Meadow is almost never like this. A once in a lifetime view you’ve captured.

No nits or suggestions. Thanks for sharing and if I hadn’t already, welcome to NPN!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker, I expected to need to do a focus stack so I took 2 separate exposures to focus one on the trees and the other on the falls. But I saw the trees in the exposure focused on the falls were in focus enough that I didn’t find it worth doing a focus stack. A little but more sharpening on the trees recovered the little bit of softness just fine.

@Cameron_Wilcox thanks! I wanted to make sure the trees didn’t get too dark, but was able to push the shadows just fine.

Interesting composition that works well for the aspect ration you have chosen. One suggestion would be to bring up the white point on the two trees, particularly the one on the right.

@Igor_Doncov, I will revisit raising the trees. I had them brighter initially but was afraid it would draw your eye too much away from the falls. Perhaps there is a balance I can strike that is brighter than this but darker than I initially had.

Great take on a waterfall icon, Kyle. Well done.

@Igor_Doncov, I have uploaded an edit with the foreground trunks slightly brighter. Is this what you had in mind?

I think it’s an improvement. What do you think?

I like the edit, but think the bright spot on the left trunk could be darkened a bit.

@Igor_Doncov, I initially did not like it, but after stepping away and coming back I think the brighter version is better. Thank you!

@Jim_Gavin, thank you for pointing that out. I burned that bright spot on my original version, but did not revisit it after brightening the trunk. I will go back and fix it.