Upper Yosemite Falls

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We took some pals up to Yosemite Valley yesterday morning that had never been there before (needed to fix that). We got an early start and it was 29 degrees for this shot so the fall’s rind and “snow cone” had not melted. I had decided not to take my heavy-hitter camera rig so this, I confess was taken with my iPhone then worked on a little in PS, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Another classic picture from this place. I like the symmetrical presentation. I wish the top of the mountain in the reflection is not clipped.

Dave, I like how you chose to center the “snow cone”, it is a very interesting feature present in this scene. The trees on the left, and the peak on the right make wonderful frames for the snow cone. I agree with @Adhika_Lie, I wish the reflection of the mountain was not cut off by the frame edge. I don’t think cropping tighter would work, it would cut off the reflection of the waterfall. I took it into Photoshop and had a go at it with adding canvas and Content Aware Fill. It does an okay, but not great job with it.

1 Like

What a great illustration here, Ed. The image came to life with the addition of that clipped top.

Agreed! Your work got around what my limited field ability with my phone had. I was not able to get all of the cliff’s reflection captured. This really helped the image. I’m ashamed to admit that I did not know about PS’s content aware fill feature. I found it and intend to add it to my bag of darkroom tricks to possibly use. I really value the helpful comments like these!