Young blue bird

After normal processing used topaz A1 to reduce noise and increase sharpness. Used the auto setting, is it too much? Bird was in the shade, somewhat back lighted.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

how well this composition works.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Canon RP, RF-800mm F-11 1/1000 @ F-11 ISO 3200. Hand held, auto ISO

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi John, I like the composition. It looks very nice.The bird is really well placed in the frame with a nice look back pose. We get to see the full color range of the bird’s feathers as well. Some may wish the branch on the right hand side was not there but it is and it does help frame the bird. I do find the bit of bright sky in lower right corner a bit distracting. I wonder if a pana crop eliminating that corner with the bird now lower in the frame would work.
I am not sure how Topaz A1 works but the bird does seem to be in focus but with very little detail. This might be due to noise reduction.

Thanks for your comments. I will take a look at a pano crop. I think some of the lack in feather detail may be due to the bird being in heavy shadows. I must admit I was very surprised to see a waxwing in the group of birds in these shrubs.

Hi John. This is a really interesting stage in the plumage. The head looks like a juvenile, but the body looks like a full grown adult male. I’m wondering if it’s an adult going through molt? However, plumages are difficult, particularly this time of year. I’m not seeing much detail in wither the perch or the bird, so I’m wondering if something went awry in the processing. Did you have to bring the brightness up quite a bit?

Thank you for your comments. I did have to brighten it a lot. The bird was in shadow, I must admit I was not quite ready for it.