Young Queens & rework

Rework…

I love Queen Anne’s lace and I liked how this newly blossomed one had some very young ones behind it.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wanted to make it so the front one was very prominent but without a totally blurred background, so the 2 younger ones were still recognizable. Is it pleasing? Anything else.

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 200, 300mm(450 equivalent), f6.3, 1/640. Slight crop and adjustments.

2 Likes

Very nicely done, Vanessa. I think the OOF of the flowers on the right help with depth keeping focus on the main subject. I am not a flower expert by no means, so wondering what the black is on the flower. The background came out very nice and using a longer focal length really helped.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the OOF echo in flower photography and I think this photo does it well. They are at a different stage and so aren’t duplicates, rather they round out the story of the plant. You’ve caught the pink glow nicely although I think some of the whites on the mature flower are a bit hot. Pulling them down might be good.

The dot in the middle is a small cluster of flowers that is red rather than white. It’s there to attract pollinators, but a more romantic view is that because Queen Anne II made a lot of lace in her time, it represents pricking her finger and leaving a drop of blood behind. The red dot is one way to distinguish this from wild hemlock which is a good thing since the latter will kill you dead (as it did Socrates), but the former are in the wild parsley and carrot family and is tasty and popular with foragers.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Dean_Salman and @Kris_Smith for your feedback. And yes, what Kris said about the dark speck on top! I tried to rework it based on your suggestions of the whites being too bright. Does it look any better?

Step in the right direction for the flower, but I think selectively bringing down the whites for that only would work better since they were fine in the background.

There isn’t a selective option on the processing app that I have unfortunately. So it’s kind of a balancing act of what looks best overall and as always trying to get in camera settings right when I’m taking the picture! Thanks for your feedback @Kris_Smith !

Well poo. I thought you were using Lr mobile and that it had this kind of feature. Sorry to have been under the wrong impression.

1 Like

No problem @Kris_Smith I did have that a while back but not right now. It’s just Pixelator Photo for ipad. It’s free! I guess that’s what I get for free! Haha! I’ll eventually get back to the real thing!