End of Day #2 & rework

Rework….

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another shot of the same field that I posted last week. I really love Queen Anne’s Lace and I liked photographing this last summer when they were everywhere. I loved the colors of the other flowers which I think adds to the scene.

Specific Feedback

I’m thinking this might be better than the other one from the standpoint that the light is more even and there’s the green in the front to kind of frame and lead into the flowers. Any feedback is appreciated!

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 1/5, f8, 105mm, quick up and down movement

2 Likes

I love the painterly, impressionistic feel here! I would only feedback I can add is look for any distractions. Things that draw your eye away from the scene. Sharp changes in tones or colors I might clone out to remove the distractions. Beautiful place. Wonderful scene! Your ICM movement is fun and interesting. I could spend hours there too. :blush:

1 Like

Another wonderful one! This one is a simpler composition, which is fine – more of a mosaic of color and shape. The amount of blur is perfect to let us see what the subject is and to abstract its beauty. I love the yellow blooms being interspersed. (And I’m desperately trying to remember what they are. I’m not good at names.)

I love the gradient to lighter at the top, which gives me a sense of the field continuing on into the distance, with the darker FG giving some grounding. My only suggestion would be to consider removing the blossoms that are right at the frame edges – that can help keep the viewer’s eye in the frame. But there are certainly arguments that things on the edge can suggest that the scene goes on much farther. And since they are the same kind of blossoms, that is even more argument for keeping them. (Full disclosure – my images get more tidying up than my house does …)

2 Likes

Thanks @ariel for your feedback! I understand what you mean about removing distractions. I’ll have to try going back in and doing that. I’m not good at the processing part of things and sometimes end up making it look worse! :slight_smile:

1 Like

quote=“Diane Miller, post:3, topic:36129, username:Diane_Miller”]
…n would be to consider removing the blossoms that are right at the frame edges – that can help keep the viewer’s eye in the frame. But there are certainly arguments that things on the edge can suggest that the scene goes on much farther. And since they are the same kind of blossoms, that is even more argument for keeping them. (Full disclosure – my images get more tidying up than my house does …)
[/quote]

Thanks @Diane_Miller for looking and your suggestions and feedback. I was kind of thinking of trying to heal/clone out some of the flowers around the edges but decided to just post as is to get feedback and also because I feel like I don’t do a very good job of it and take out more than I should! But I will go back in there and try to 'tidy it up ’ ! :laughing:

Vanessa, great job on this alternate version of the wildflower field. Yes this one has more even lighting and the impressionistic qualities shine through. Thanks for sharing it.

I’d like to recommend a slight bump in brightness in the midtones. This could help boost the dreaminess feel of the image. I would clone out that small white flower in the lower right edge.

1 Like

I completely understand that! Me too, I like to create snapshots in LR or PS to create points I can go back to incase i overdo something. I saw a few tips that I find helpful, by lowering the effects or layer percentage amount I can make even a strong edits more subtle. So much to learn. I love impressionism in photography these are really well done. :blush: you got my mind inspired to try some again this summer. Thanks

1 Like

Vanessa and @ariel – “healing” tools can leave smudges at edges. Cloning won’t do that. As to undoing mistakes, I clone on a new copy layer. If I change my mind about an area I can mask that small area out, at full or reduced opacity.

2 Likes

Nice, way to handle that.

Thanks for your feedback @Alfredo_Mora . I really appreciate it! I did the adjustment I think you suggested, does it look better?

1 Like

Yeah, I have to be really careful when I’m healing. I don’t have a cloning option. But if I do it in very small bits the healing can work. Which is why I hate to do it! Just working with what I’ve got! :slight_smile:

That’s frustrating! I wonder if there is some other editor that will work better with an iPad. There are several PS “clones” and there may be “lite” versions of some. But then there is the issue of needing at least a mouse – or it seems so to me. Kudos for what you can do with what you have! And keep reminding us – it’s hard to remember what tools different people have.

1 Like

Yes I think it does look better Vanessa. Thank you.

1 Like