End of Summer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken end of last July. I loved the brown grasses in the background. It looked kind of Autumnish to me even though it was still summer.

Specific Feedback

I like the colors and the swoop of Queen Anne’s Lace. Does it seem balanced enough? Anything else….

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 262mm, f25, 1/10. I think I did an upward motion but can’t really remember. Did some adjustments with exposure, brightness and highlights. It was a little bit too overexposed.

2 Likes

Lovely!! You’ve given the Queen Anne’s Lace a very unique and interesting look. We have that same tall reddish-brown stuff in the BG but yours looks prettier than what I see in real life.

1 Like

Hi Vanessa,
what a beautiful image. I love the painterly look because of the ICM.

There is the very bright flower at the right edge of the picture that distracts my eye. I would try to burn it slightly or even crop the image.

Well done!

1 Like

Vanessa, you’re doing a good job applying ICM. Keep it up!

You asked for feedback on the balance of the image. On the whole, I like the Queen Anne’s lace filling up most of the frame with pairs nicely with the top with the darker plants. I find the gaps in the two areas I have circled to be distracting and would prefer the flowers fill in those areas. I have provided two crop recommendations to simplify the scene and fill the frame.

Proposed crops:

A tighter crop keeping the same aspect ratio

A 16x9 crop

1 Like

Thank you so much @Diane_Miller @Jens_Ober and @Alfredo_Mora for your feedback and nice comments! I see what you mean about that bright flower @Jens_Ober . I like both of your crops @Alfredo_Mora . Thanks for demonstrating! I’ll have to work with it a little as I’m not sure which one I like better. Sorry it’s been so long for my reply.

Hi Vanessa! I love this image. Queen Anne’s Lace is my favorite summer flower. I’m thinking about planting some in my yard since the ones by the roadway are almost always impossible to photograph for one reason or another (usually, no place to park). I agree about the white (large rectangle) on the right side. You can tone that down by grabbing the tan color and painting it over (create a new layer in PS and experiment with opacities). I like the aspect ratio and the composition. The S curve that is formed by the top of the flowers works really nicely. IMHO, the negative space, in this case, provides a nice balance. I look forward to seeing more of your ICM images!

1 Like

Vanessa,

Well done! A wonderful ICM image. The combination of the white blossoms and groupings of darker stalks up top really keep the eye engaged and exploring the entire frame.

I’m on the fence on the balance thing. I really like the more balanced crop(s) from Alfredo, although I think there are still other alternates, including one that just shaves a little off the right (the brigheter flower that was mentioned, and a little off the bottom, but not as much as Alfredo’s. I dunno, photographer’s choice!

The movement, and even the colors all seem to flow together nicely. Excellent ICM!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you @Susanna_Euston and @Lon_Overacker for your feedback and comments. I’m glad you like it. I like your idea, Lon, for less of a crop. I’ll have to play around with it more. Thanks for your suggestions, Susanna. I don’t have PS or LR to do anything fancy in post. So I can’t try that but maybe in the future I’ll be able to.

1 Like